Croatian Maritime Museum
Address: Glagoljaša 18, 21 000 Split
Phone: +385 (0)21 347 346
The Maritime Museum was founded in 1925.
The museum researches, acquires, archives and exhibits artifacts and documents relating to the maritime heritage of the Adriatic coast from prehistory to modern times.
Contents include a simple, but compelling collection of model ships through the ages, ranging from Venetian galleys to modern cruise liners. Also lying around are all manners of nautical equipment, lighthouse lanterns and naval uniforms. The Museum is proud to have one of the oldest torpedoes in the world, built in 1866. The collection of torpedoes is one of the most valuable exhibits of the Museum.
It is situated in the 17th-century Gripe Fortress – the only fully preserved fortified building in Split, built by the Venetians to keep the Ottomans at bay, and subsequently used as a barracks by Austrian Empire.
The fortress courtyard provides an exhibition space for the larger exhibits in the museum collection.
A small Church of St. Anthony in the museum’s yard is also very interesting.